Tuesday, March 12, 2013

MAKE A WISH


Well….It’s finally here.  I can tell all of you about Eli’s upcoming Make-A-Wish trip because it is official!   I’ll give you a little background first and then tell you what I know about our trip.
We were contacted by Make-A-Wish back when Eli was first diagnosed.  We were put on a waiting list, because they make sure that children with terminal illness and more dire situations get to choose first.  We were so relieved to learn that this is how they organize the wishes and that we are not taking the spot of a child that may not make it to their next birthday. 

As many of you know Eli was diagnosed with a Wilm’s tumor, cancerous, on his left kidney.  After having his left kidney and tumor removed he underwent 25 weeks of chemo, and 6 radiation treatments.  This spanned from Sept. 2010 until March 2011.  The week of his 2nd birthday was his last week of chemo!

Now fast forward 2 whole years and he is a very healthy, very energetic almost 4 year old.  It actually worked out perfect because taking a potty trained and healthy preschooler on vacation will be much more enjoyable than a sick little toddler!  Also, our trip will be the same week as the 2 year anniversary of his last chemo treatment AND his 4th birthday party will be the Saturday after we get back!

The whole Make-A-Wish process has been fun.  They have some wonderful volunteers who showed up at our house with presents (toys) for both boys to play with while we all chatted.  We filled out paperwork and put down a few possibilities.  We were trying to be conservative and choose something close by, like a day trip….but they said for us to try and choose something that we wouldn’t normally take him to.  In fact, the whole process is supposed to be centered on the child and they are supposed to choose. However, when I questioned Eli about where he would most want to go he said “In my room to play with my cars and trains”! Then I rephrased the question and asked if there was someone/character he would like to meet and he replied “Sam!”  Haha!

So, since we really didn’t want to spend our trip in his room playing with Sam we kind of had to choose for him.  We put several options and the one that came through was ………………………DISNEYLAND!

Yes, Anaheim, CA here we come!  The volunteers pointed out that because of his love of the movie Cars this might be a great choice because they have a new section of the park dedicated to that movie series.  It is also somewhere that we would definitely not ever probably get to travel to.  We are closer to Disney World and have thought about planning a trip in the next few years anyways, so California ended up being the best choice! 

I cannot even begin to tell you how excited we all are.   Eli has a tendency to be very reserved and even fearful of new things so we have been talking about this for quite some time.  We have played “plane” where we take off our shoes and walk through a “metal detector” and then “strap in” and wait for the seatbelt sign to go off.  We have talked about how some of the Disney rides are inside and some are outside, some are loud, some are bright.  He also seems to have some sensitivity to sound so we will definitely have the earplugs for most of the rides that involve loud music, etc.  I know Joseph thinks I am going crazy over planning but my mantra is: I will plan, pack, make lists and run around like crazy now so I can sit back and enjoy the trip!

We found out a few months back that Eli’s wish has a sponsor, Merrill Lynch.  They wanted to give Eli a “send off” party.  This past Monday we trekked up to the Merrill Lynch offices in Atlanta for the party.  As usual, I had talked about the party with Eli for several weeks and tried to prepare him for the crowd and pictures and handshakes and questions, etc.  I must have done a pretty good job because he did great!…No, actually he just wanted to make a liar out of me when I told them that he was very shy because that child was the friendliest, most talkative and funniest we have ever seen him!!! If you know Eli, you know that in most unfamiliar situations he will sit in my lap, bury his head in my shoulder and refuse to even look up.  But Monday he shook everyone’s hand, told them thanks and ran around the room smiling!  Both boys were so well-behaved that I think Joseph and I probably looked so confused because we just stood there in shock! Haha  

We met the nicest and sweetest people at the office there.  Everyone was so kind and wanted to meet Eli.   The Branch Manager for Merrill Lynch was the one introducing us to everyone at the event.  I found out later that he has worked with Make A Wish for many years and is on their board of directors.  When we filled out the paperwork back in October they had a short questionnaire about Eli’s favorite things.  Of course, when you are three that changes weekly, sometimes hourly!  Am I right?  

Mr. John Inhouse, the manager, had the questionnaire and was sharing some of Eli’s likes and favorite things with everyone, when my shy little 3 year old stands up and starts correcting him on how he doesn’t like poptarts anymore and his favorite food is now pizza!  That definitely got a laugh out of everyone.  He then proceeded to change some of his other answers too!   Then he started telling this room full of strangers how his new pillowpet dinosaur (that he had opened in the lobby) likes to bite people!  It was definitely a shocker for us to see him in such rare form. 

They asked us to tell a little about Eli’s story. I got up and walked to the front of the room and when I turned around I realized just how many people were in there.  I’ve taught elementary school all the way to college, but I have to say that was the most well dressed crowd I have ever spoken in front of!   As a stay at home mom of preschoolers who works online, I’m never around that many people in suits.  I have no idea what I said but it must have not been too bad!   

After a bunch of pictures, a few presents, several pieces of cake and lots of handshakes our super sweet MakeAWish volunteer contact, Ms. Sheri had a few more presents for Eli.  So many of the presents and other things associated with all of this were donated by businesses and I only wish I knew who had given what so we could thank them personally.  There is so much behind-the-scenes that goes on that we will never know all of the details.  We have just tried to show gratitude and be thankful for everyone that we have crossed paths with during this!

As we were leaving Sheri pointed out how well Sam had done.  I hadn’t even noticed that he had not shown any jealousy or been upset that he was not given any presents or that he was not the center of the party.  He really made us proud with the way he was excited for Eli but didn’t try to take the spotlight away from him.  Sam did make us all laugh when as we were headed to the elevators to go to the car he exclaimed loudly, “Next stop...the airport!” haha He totally thought we were leaving for Disney right then!! 

To make this incredibly long story even longer…..not really, I’m almost done…..we will find out the details of our trip later this week.  I do know that we are leaving on March 23rd and coming back March 28th.  That is the extent of my knowledge about the trip….Seriously, try packing and planning like crazy with that amount of knowledge! Hahaha  It’s okay, procrastination and me are old friends so we’ll work it all out next week! 

I’ve included some pics below from the party.  I plan to update this blog about our trip before and during so if you are interested (or just nosy haha) feel free to check in and see how it all went.

**I didn't even get my camera out once. 
These are "stolen" from Pops' camera that must think we are still in 2007! haha








Ms. Sheri!

Another Make-A-Wish contact, Ms. Kristen

***The toys only made it as far as the living room last night so when they got up this morning Sam exclaimed to Eli, "Hey, Eli, look what Santa brought you!" haha 


No comments: